Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all my friends!  I did see the medical oncologist last week for results of the MUGA scan and the PET scan.  Muga scans are used to determine how efficiently the heart works and the PET scan us used to detect any cancer elsewhere in the body.

Both came back NORMAL! My heart is working like it should and the is NO cancer anywhere in my body!!!!!!  That was the best thing I think I ever heard.  Mom and I both started crying when we heard that news!  I had many Christmas wishes.  The one that said no more cancer was the only one I really wanted!

I also had to go for my annual GYN exam and everything has returned normal.  Not bad for the end of one year and the beginning of another!

As I sit and contemplate on the last 3 months, it's been an absolute whirlwind.  From diagnosis, to surgery and now on to chemo for the next 16 weeks, then a few weeks of external beam radiation therapy.  Wow.  I am not sure what the next few months bring, but I find myself excited about getting everything DONE!  It's gonna be a long few months, but the end result will be worth it.

I get to go to physical therapy on Wednesday for a lymphedema consult and how to prevent and/or treat it.  Lymphedema happens when there has been damage to the lymph nodes in an area of the body, like in the armpit, groin or lower leg.  The lymph system is a filter system, but it also helps to get fluid out of the extremities.  Any kind of assistance will be great for me.  I also see the plastic surgeon on Thursday for a fill and doctor visit to see how I'm doing and I'm going to ask about returning to work.  It's been one month and I know I still need a few more weeks for more recovery, but I'm going nuts not working. 

I start chemotherapy on Jan 10.  I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm anxious to get things flowing!   I was told that the type of chemo I'll recieve for the first 4 cycles will cause my hair to fall out, but I was expecting that, so I'm just going to shave my head.  I don't know if I'll do it before the first session or wait til after the 2nd, but I am going to do it anyway.  I know I cannot, emotionally, watch my hair fall out in my hands.  Mom says she might as well too because the Methotrexate she's on is making her hair fall out.  I told her she should just get a wig for herself.  She says she just may do that! LOL.  I hope she does.

I heard from one of my friends that these blogs I do help her as much as they do me.  She gets to see how I'm doing and how treatment is going.  Another says she just had her annual GYN exam and has her mammogram in June or July.  Keep up the good work.  Get the word out!

FEEL YOUR BOOBIES!!!!  They're yours, you should know what's normal for YOU!  Every woman's breasts are different.  Know what's right for you and not right for you! 

Happy New Year to all!

Denys

2 comments:

  1. You have to get all this behind you so we can go riding again this spring!!! Maybe the trip to Leesburg Woman's Day like before.... That would be a great coming out party!!! Keep up the good attitude!!!! Hugssssssssssssssssss
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I can shave your head LOL

    ReplyDelete