Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 2 after surgery

Saturday morning, day 2 post-op.  I'm a little sore, a little stiff and still sound like I have a frog in my throat.  My 4 hour surgery turned into about 6 hours. 

I had a 3rd malignant lesion that was growing into the backside of the nipple, so that's gone, but the rest of the cancer is gone as well.  The surgeon did place a medi-port (an IV access in the upper chest wall) for chemotherapy that will begin after the new year.  I don't know yet if I'll need  radiation therapy. 

My parents are in disbelief.  Mom's terrified and so is Dad, but he won't talk to anyone about what's going on with me.  I guess it's true that at 42 years old, I am still their baby girl. 

The Medical Oncologist did what's called BRAC Analysis, a blood test that shows any predisposition for other types of cancer, including ovarian and colon cancers.  That came back negative, thank God for that.

The next few days are going to be a challenge in getting back and forth to doctor appointments, I have 2 on Monday.  One with the cosmetic surgeon's nurse for a dressing change and one at the cancer center to have my port accessed and to draw blood.  Looks like I'll be busy for a while anyway.

I think it's time to relax a bit more and take a nap!

Denys

No comments:

Post a Comment