Saturday, November 27, 2010

5 Days to go

So now I'm getting nervous.  Surgery is scheduled for Thursday, December 2.  I am scheduled to be the first case of the day, "tentatively", at 7:30 AM.  That means I have to be at the hospital at 5 AM.  Not quite the 5:00 I like to see, but then, I'm getting rid of the cancer that has invaded my body.

My family and friends have been incredibly supportive in my decision to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction.  In talking with the plastic surgeon, she said that the type of cancer I have has a high recurrence rate to the opposite breast.  What's a girl to do?  I can't have one perky and one saggy, now can I?

I found out my aunt that lives in Arizona had a cancer scare last year.  We talked quite a while on Thanksgiving Day.  She totally understands me.  We pretty much grew up together when I was little.  She lived with me and my parents after I was born, so we got to be friends and did a lot together after she came home from Alabama many years ago.

She had a biopsy and it came back benign, much to the surprise of the doctors and her.  She's been fine since, but she's keeping up with her mammograms and breast exams.

If there is one thing that this has taught me, it's feel your boobies.  Only you know what is normal or not for your body.  If you find something that is not normal, CALL YOUR DOCTOR.  It could be nothing or it could be cancer. 

I have so many things running thru my pea-brain.  I need some WD-40 on the hamster wheel. (I totally stole that from my BFF!)  If it weren't for my sleeping medicine, I don't think I could sleep.  I keep worrying about things that I probably shouldn't, but I can't help it.  Doing this blog actually helps me to get those thoughts out of my head and quiets the wheel for a little while. 

I know I'm going to be in the hospital for at least one night, just because of the fact that I am having mastectomy and the risks of bleeding, infection, blah, blah, blah.  The thing I'm fearing the most is PAIN.  I have never done well with pain and pain meds make me feel out of control.  If any of you know me, you know how much I don't like to be out of control. I know I'll be ok and all I have to do is ask and I'll get what I need to make me comfortable, but it's the unknown.

Please keep me me in your thoughts and prayers.  I can feel the love!
Denys

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you, Denys, and remembering your patience and love when you took care of Taylor a few years ago.
    Prayer can change everything, and you're certainly in our prayers here. If I were in your shoes, I'd be following the same path. Godspeed to you as you move through this journey. We all love you so much!
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete