Sunday, November 14, 2010

No surgery on Nov. 16th

So, things were going so good on Friday. I was at the convention, spending time with my BFF and learning more and more about West Coast Swing dancing.  Laughing, making new friends and just generally having a great time.

Then I got another message that I needed to call the surgeon's office as soon as possible.  When I finally got in touch with the nurse at 315 pm, I was told the surgeon wanted yet another ultrasound because another nodule was found in my right breast.  Since I was in St. Petersburg, there was no way I could get back to Lakeland before they close at 4, but the nurse said she would talk to the doctor and call me later in the day, probably after 5 pm.  I said that I would be expecting her call.

At about 630, I got a call from the surgeon herself to explain what was found on the MRI and the ultrasound.  I seems I have more disease in the breast than originally thought.  To do a lumpectomy, she would have to take about a third of my breast and she couldn't guarantee how it would look after such a large excision.  I then broached the subject of, not only one, but a double mastectomy with reconstruction at the same time.  Of course that means delaying surgery, but it also means getting rid of the cancer.  Now, I'll see a plastic surgeon for the reconstruction procedure and have surgery in December. 

Merry Christmas to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment