Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The next step

If you have never had a magnetic resonance mammogram, you ain't missing anything.  Not the most comfortable test I've gone through.  Imagine, if you will, wearing a hospital gown, open in the front, lying face down on an MRI table with your breasts dangling into the "cups" while a technician with COLD hands gets you positioned for the test.  Not only are you uncomfortable, you have your shoulders held by the "arms" on each side with your hands by your side.  The goal is to keep absloutely still while this is going on so they don't send you home only to come back another day!  By the time I was done, my back and shoulders felt like knots had been tied in them.  Fortunately, I got through it without having to come back another day.

After I got home from work tonight, I got a phone call from the surgeon's nurse informing me that my case was presented at "tumor board" today and everyone, so far, has agreed with the surgeon's plan of action.  I will see the radiation oncologist, have the ultrasound of my right axilla, AND see the medical oncologist all on November 11.  They are thinking I'm going to need to be on a medication called Tamoxifen for 5 years after the surgery and radiation therapies are done.  The only problem with that is that about 14 years ago, I had a blood clot in my left leg while I was in nursing school.  If they deem it to be necessary, I may have to go on a low dose of a blood thinner called Coumadin for the duration of being on the Tamoxifen. 

As if I wasn't already overwhelmed, I feel like I just had a 20 pound weight added to me and I'm struggling to keep my head above water.

I also asked if a time for my surgery has been set and yes, it had.  I have to be at the Watson Clinic Women's Center at 10 AM for the injection for the Sentinel Node mapping and needle localization.  Those procedures should take about an hour and a half.  Then I need to go to the surgery center to allow the radioactive stuff to circulate and anticipate surgery to be about 2 pm.  They have reserved my OR for about 2 hours.  I think it's gonna be a long and drawn out day.  By the time I get home, I think Mom will probably stay at my house, just to keep an eye on me.  She may even bring the "little doggie" to visit too.  Nothing like a pajama party!

At least for the next few days, things can be as normal as usual.  Then again, nothing in my world is "normal"

Hugs to all

No comments:

Post a Comment