Sunday, November 7, 2010

Facing a birthday with cancer

Tomorrow is a big day for me.   It's my 42nd birthday.  I'm happy to have seen another year, yet I am apprensive about the coming year for me.  I have always been somewhat "fearless", as my parents have said.  Now, I am scared out of my mind.  I have been more scattered than normal, I am finding it hard to concentrate on tasks at home and work and am afraid my work performance is suffering. 

I have 3 appointments on Thursday of this week.  The first is with the radiation oncologist at 8 am, then at 1130, I need to have an ultrasound of the right breast and axilla, then I see the medical oncologist at 130 pm.  I guess I am most worried about seeing the medical oncologist because there is a very real possibility that I will need to go on Tamoxifen along with hormone therapy.  The biggest problem is that I had a DVT or deep vein thrombosis, in my left leg 14 years ago and have been told not to take hormone replacement therapy because of the increased risk of developing another blood clot in my legs, arms or lungs.  What a thing to have to face on top of everything!

I'm gonna try to forget about it for today and tomorrow and I'm going to have a great lunch with my high school friends that I have reconnected with thanks to Facebook!  Tomorrow, my Dad is taking me and my Mom out to dinner and the people that can't make it today are coming tomorrow!  I am really looking forward to spending time with the people that mean the most the most to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment